Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Public Domain Photographs

Recently I’ve spent time at online Presidential Libraries. Here are two pictures from tens of thousand of photos in the public domain. They are from the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library.

Imagine how this Missouri mule feels after traveling half-way around the world, only to be hitched to a Horse and put to work pulling a plow on a sloping farm in Greece. Yes, it was our Marshall Plan in action……helping Europe get back on their feet after the world war they started, was finally over. Shipload after shipload of grain, tractors, trucks, cloth, and all kinds of food left American ports to prevent mass starvation in Europe, this Missouri Mule did it's part.
Great Britain was one of the few nations to thank us by paying back some of the loans. A lot of Europe denies that we helped, imagine ungrateful Frogs of France, who would have thunk it?

And I love this next picture…..two great men.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes some digging, but there are lots of great photographs at the Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You amaze me, on the one hand you evidently agree with the way that President Truman handled the office of the Presidency. The ONLY man to ever order the dropping of the atomic bomb (an action that I agreed with). An action that was unpopular, a man who coined the phrase "The buck stops here". You are the same person who now has a banner "Impeach Bush" - another president who is standing up for this country against countries that would like to see all of us die. Another President who takes unpopular stands, yet stands by them. In my (not so) humble opinion, if Kerry (or God forbid) Gore had been elected President - we'd either be speaking french now (looking at their riots, it's just one more reason to boycott them) or we'd be watching citizens (such as yourself) being beheaded in the city streets of America. I don't like war anymore than anyone else, but I'd rather stop them over in their countries than have to gun them down in my country.

9:38 AM  
Blogger web_loafer said...

I'm sorry anon....please check the banner again....

IMBUSH PEACH

NEED I EXPLAIN MORE,

I HOPE THE DEMOCRATS TRY IMPEACHMENT, IT WILL COST THEM THE WHITE HOUSE IN 2008, IF THEY TRY.

I don't agree with President Bush on everything, but if you read any of my writings at Sanity's Bluff, you will realize I like our president, nay, I am thankful to God that he was president when the scumbags attacked our nation. If Gore, or Kerry had been president, we would still be debating what to do.
I consider the fact that our marvelous military has rid the world of thousands, yes tens of thousands of terrorists. War is never pretty or popular, that is one reason I know America is special, we all hate to go to war, but when it is needed, our warriors are the worlds best.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home